Accra—20th June, 2022: Two books aimed at enhancing writing skills for communication students and practitioners will be launched at the Ghana Institute of Journalism in Accra on Tuesday, 28th June 2022.
The books are:
- Eric’s Diary: A Guide to Writing Feature Articles Using The 5ws And H + M, O/R
- Eric’s Diary: Creatively writing with the 5Ws and H
The books were published by Adwinsa Publications Limited. The Bishop of Accra, Rt. Rev. Dr. Sylvanus Daniel Mensah Torto will perform the launch.
Authored by Mr. Eric Mensah-Ayettey, a seasoned journalist and Public Relations practitioner, the books are also useful for persons whose work involves writing in any form.
Mr. Mensah-Ayettey says the decision to put articles he has written over the past year together in these books, was informed by his quest to help in developing writing skills.
“Throughout my 25 years of practicing journalism, Public Relations and Advertising, I have observed that most people have difficulty in writing simple official letters, press statements, policy briefs, fact sheets, talk less of position papers and speeches,” he explained.
“My real diagnosis is that many do not have a grasp of the rules of grammar. That’s mainly because they don’t read. Neither do they listen to good English,” said the author.
The award-winning journalist noted that, “this calls for more work to be done at the primary and secondary school levels. I urge Teachers at these levels of our educational system, to evolve the right pedagogy methods to change this situation. As a communications practitioner, I believe I can contribute to improving the situation by offering some guidance to all persons whose work involves writing, hence this book.”
Mr. Mensah-Ayettey acknowledges that the 5Ws and H (Who, What, Where, Why, When, and How) are classically meant for news report writing, “however, in my 25 years’ experience as a journalist and Public Relations practitioner, I dare say that the concept can be applied to speech writing, fact sheets and feature writing,” he added.
The launch is expected to be attended by students of journalism, journalists, Public Relations practitioners, media owners, media regulators, Ministers of State as well as his friends and family.
About the Books
- Eric’s Diary: A Guide to Writing Feature Articles- Using The 5ws And H + M, O/R -312 pages
In this book, I explain how the 5Ws and H in news writing, as well as my addition – M, O/ R (Who, What, When, Why, Where and How as well as Motive, Opinion/ Recommendation) are used to write educative, entertaining informative and promotional feature articles.
The title, Eric’s Diary: A Guide to Writing Feature Articles stems from the style adopted for writing these articles. I comment on socio-politico-economic issues from my personal experiences. This enables me to infuse traditional wisdom and local language to spice the write-up for readers’ enjoyment.
It is my hope that readers find it useful in their quest to write, especially opinion pieces, Opeds, Columns, promotional articles for organizations etc.
- Eric’s Diary: Creatively writing with the 5Ws and H- 136 pages
In here, the reader is guided through the imaginative process deployed to produce the nine articles- five entertainment-related and four politico-socio-economic ones.
Using the 5Ws and H, the reader is let in on how the entertainment-related pieces were imagined, conceived, and birthed as well as how the politically-inclined ones were narrated creatively.
Undoubtedly, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a step. It is for this reason that anyone desirous of acquiring this rare skill to churn out similar entertaining yet informative articles, needs a copy of this book– Eric’s Diary: Creative writing with the 5Ws and H. This book guarantees the reader a firm grounding to set off on this quest, leaving the bookworm with only a choice to proceed.
About the Author
- Eric Mensah-Ayettey is the CEO of CIRE Communications Services.
- He is a Communications Consultant with over 20 years’ experience in the practice of Public Relations and Journalism.
- An award-winning Journalist, Eric is currently an Editor at myjoyonline.com, a subsidiary of the Multimedia Group Limited.
- Eric worked with Strategic Communications Africa (Stratcomm Africa) for over four years as Lead Communications Consultant.
- Prior to that, he worked in various capacities at the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Ghana.
- Eric also rose through the ranks, from Reporter through Assistant Head of News to Head of News at Radio Gold 90.5 FM.
- As a student Journalist, Eric had stints with the Ghana News Agency, Ghana Broadcasting Corporation and the Graphic Communications Group Limited.
- He holds a Master of Arts Degree in Public Affairs (UG), a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration (GIMPA), Diploma in Journalism and a Certificate in Public Relations, Advertising and Marketing (GIJ).
- Eric is an Affiliate member of the Institute of Public Relations, Ghana (IPR) and a member of the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA).
- Eric has attended Public Relations Conferences in Johannesburg, South Africa and London, UK as well as pursued a course in Office Procedures in New Delhi, India.
- Ericus is married with three children.