Several military personnel were engaged in shooting at protesters that left two people dead at Ejura last week, journalist Erastus Asare Donkor has disclosed.
Mr Donkor, who works with the Multimedia Group in Kumasi, Ashanti Region, was on the ground covering the protest when the shooting took place.
He disclosed what he saw when he appeared before the three-member ministerial committee investigating the issue on Tuesday, 6 July 2021.
The journalist recounted that the military men were initially shooting into the skies but then aimed at the crowd.
He told the committee: “I saw seven military personnel who engaged in the shooting during the protest. Four came first, and later another three joined them.”
“The military initially started firing into the cloud, but later started firing into the protesters and some started falling and others retreating. The shooting went on for about 20 to 30 minutes.”
First to appear before the committee was the Ashanti Regional Minister Simon Osei-Mensah who refused to name an informant who told him the angry youth had plotted to attack and burn down a police station which forced him to call the military for reinforcement.